Sunie Yoga

suniemac.wix.com/yoga

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Four Agreements

For the past few weeks, my goal has been to seek clarity.  Clarity in love, clarity in my work, clarity in my living situation, clarity in my home, clarity in my lifestyle, clarity in my choices, and may the list go on.

Life is so busy I struggle to find the time to be myself, to be genuine with my friends and acquaintances, to sit with my heart and mind and truly listen to what I want and need.

Seeking clarity has reminded me of a calendar my father gave me some years ago based off of the book, "The Four Agreements." This was something I hadn't much appreciation for when I was in my late teens/early twenties, but, as we know, the older we get the more experience and, hopefully, wisdom we receive along the way.  Our human potential is enormous.  We all have so much love to give and so much light within ourselves, how do we tap into it and let that be who we are on a daily basis?  

Dig deep down into the bottom of the heart, trust what we feel and follow what comes from our genuine being. If we can get rid of all the excess - jealously, fear, anxiety, sadness, etc. we can express who we truly are with no judgement.


The Four Agreements:

"Be Impeccable with Your Word"
Not only with the people around you, but with yourself. Be kind, honest and true with your language. And give what you honestly can to all beings.

"Don't Take Anything Personally"
When someone says or does something hurtful, remember, it is a reflection of themselves.  That doesn't mean they are a bad person, but they too are working towards finding their genuine self and challenges come up in their lives that bring out certain experiences and expectations they may project onto you. Let it slide off.  Forgiveness and letting go are the hardest and most important lessons to learn.

"Don't Make Assumptions"
When you assume, you hurt someone else and yourself.  We don't know what others think, we cannot be in their heads. We may think someone did something or acted the way they did because of what we think we know, but it's actually only an assumption and likely incorrect.

"Always Do Your Best"
There is no other way to function. If we are just getting by, we are not truly living. Find what you do best and do it, not for want of fortune and fame, but for yourself.  Allow your light to shine brightly!


I'm no perfect Yogi. I must continuously remind myself of these agreements on a regular basis. I have been known to make many mistakes along the way because of my own fears, but I find a way to forgive myself and strive to do my best. I hope to greet you when you are doing your best as well.

1 comment: