Sunie Yoga

suniemac.wix.com/yoga

Friday, March 9, 2012

Let's Try Breathing

How often are you aware of your breath?

In NYC I rarely breathe deeply.  Perhaps because the air is slowly filling my lungs with dis-ease or perhaps because so much is thrown at me in a matter of minutes, there is so much to take in, I'd almost rather not.  Probably a little (or a lot) of both.  I often don't realize it until I come home to Cape Cod when I wake up laughing or in tears.  Aha!  I am finally breathing again!

The breath is an enormous tool humans have 24/7 access to that is often forgotten or misused.  It feeds our life-force, creates our vitality and has the power to connect us to significant, allusive and substantial moments that would otherwise pass us by.

Take a moment:


Without altering your breath, where do you feel it move your body?  Place a hand on your chest.  Do you feel the breath there?  Place your hand on your belly.  Do you feel the breath more so there? Breathing in and out through your nose, take in a very big breath (never-mind the smells wafting in the air from your roommates cooking), how does that feel?  Now take the next several moments to focus on your breath, allowing your thoughts to settle in the expansion of the body as you inhale and the release of tension as you exhale.  Close your eyes.  Breathe deeply.

How do you feel?  Did you notice anything come up for you?  Something emotional?  Something physical?  Something spiritual?  Some days I feel emotion tumbling out through my breath.  I barely even realize I am holding on to anything and, suddenly, there it is.  There is always something there.  We just have to give it space, live in it and then let it go.  Within yourself, what is there to explore?  Allow it to be.  Listen to your breath.

There is a wonderful methodology at Kripalu, BRFWA: Breath, Relax, Feel, Watch, Allow.  This is a practical, helpful tool you can apply to your every day living, starting with the breath.  As an experiment for yourself, take out a pen and paper (or your iphone/smartphone) and write down BRFWA.  Carry it with you for the next several days to remember the exact words and try it out during different moments of your day.  Then please come back to my blog and share your experiences with us.  I love to hear about your life and your Yoga.  Remember, your words of wisdom may help a fellow reader through their own experiences.

How often do you truly allow yourself to breathe?

4 comments:

  1. BRFWA... I love that! It's amazing how powerful of a tool breathing really is. Thanks for this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post...Simple focus on the process of breathing is incredibly beneficial and following your instructions leads to an incredibly calm state...thank you ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been putting on your BRFWA clip when I need to reconnect with breath and hear your yoga voice!
    Thank you for your wonderful yoga-clips.

    ReplyDelete